Thursday, April 25, 2013

News update: a year in the making


So it's been a year since my last update and a LOT has changed in that year. In short, I started a relationship with a very special man, did a 3 week tour of South America including: Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina and Brazil, quit my job without a new one lined up, hosted a massive weekend event for over 500 people and moved to the West Midlands. Here is an update of what I have been doing lately: 

Recent Engagement
Some of you will know that recently my boyfriend Dave Hadley, proposed to me during a holiday in Ireland and we are now engaged. ‘Engage’ is a word that is used in many contexts today. Whether we are talking about a child participating in class, a toilet cubicle that is taken or watching an episode of Star Trek; we are all concerned about being ‘engaged’. This is a new phase of my life and I hope to engage in my daily work whether that is with YFC, in the community house that I live in or in my marital preparations with Dave. My aim is to also encourage the young people that I work with to engage in their journey where they are.

Hawbush house
This is a community project that seeks to be a positive Christian presence in one of the poorest communities in England. It is about showing love and living life that is beneficial but also very community based. Out of a community of 10 who call the house a home; only 2 of us live there while another 1 uses the 3rd bedroom as an office. Through daily activities like: football, cooking, after school clubs, sharing meals, trips etc. this community of believers hope to share Christ’s love with each other and help the local families receive this love. John 13:34+35. 

YFC One first weeks
In my first few weeks with YFC, I have been learning a lot about my role and how that will work in terms of a year calendar. I have also spent 2 days on an exhibition stand sharing about all aspects of YFC. They say the best way to learn is to teach; so I tried to teach others about the ministry. Between myself and my boss Pete, we called over 190 people who had contacted us over the years about doing a Gap year starting September 13.
Met with all 12 of the volunteers that I mentor and promised to support them where possible.
We had a great response and planned to host an interview day on Saturday 27 April for all those who sent in their application form. 

My promise to you will be to update this blog more often and continue to share about how we are making a difference. 
Take care! 

No comments: