Saturday, July 09, 2011

Harry Potter Marathon: The Chamber of secrets

Ok, second film up, it's a sequel to popular opening film, so it'll have a better director, bigger budget and the actors will be more confident.

To start, I was glad that not only did we get to see the chamber of secrets but we got a bit of back story to the school and other characters. The shadow that is 'Voldemort' keeps appearing and I'm noticing a theme. I have a feeling he will turn up in every film and not be very successful in his attempt at immortality.

First, we get introduced to Dobbie, a little goblin creature who has come to warn Harry not to go back to Hogwarts. In my school, there was a girl who was nicknamed Dobbie because they said she looked like the cartoon. After seeing what Dobbie looked like, it just enforces what a cruel class I had.

The problem with suspense in movies series is that you know the main character is never going to die. Even when Harry is hanging out of a speeding car and could fall to his death, there is no fear because you know that he's in at least 5 more movies. I found that this ruined the action element of the film.

One of the oddest moments was when the new teacher releases a cage of Cornish Pixies into the classroom. I must have been the only one laughing but only because it reminded me of funny chats that we had in work. Also because I was given the name Pixie queen at an event one time.

There were some other funny moments, like finding out the caretakers cat is called "Mrs Norris" and the amount of times Harry ends up in hospital, far too much for a minor.


The best/worst moment was when Harry and Ron had to follow a trail of spiders into the forest. Ron said what we were all thinking "Why spiders? Why couldn't it be 'follow the butterflies'?". Soon after, they are in a cave in the forest with hundreds of spiders crawling everywhere. They had a terrifying chat to the leader of the spides, a giant one. Parts of that scene were difficult to watch as I'm not that fond of spiders and it felt like they were crawling on me.

Once again, I had a grievance with Quidditch. It is ALWAYS Griffindor and Slitheren who play against each other. It's like the other two houses aren't as important. Although Hufflepuff is the stupidest name ever, that doesn't deny them the right to play school sports.

I found this movie more enjoyable overall but not loving them as much as some people have.

And hey, at least I don't have mud blood!

No comments: